Before you dive into paying for college, make sure to check and see if you’re eligible for any VA benefits, which are available for active duty military personnel, dependents and veterans.

Steps for new students

  1. Contact the VA to determine which veteran’s benefit(s) you qualify for.
  2. Once you know which program you are eligible for, complete the online Request to Receive VA Benefits form and submit any other supporting documentation to the Financial Aid Office. Make sure you also apply for admission to Brenau.
  3. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
  4. After you have registered for classes for the first time, contact the Financial Aid Office at we can certify your enrollment with the VA.

Brenau University has a rolling admissions policy, meaning there are no annual deadlines or specific priority dates for most programs. We recommended that Financial Aid requests be submitted two months prior to your anticipated start date. Visit our Financial Aid page for more information about how to get started.

New FAFSA forms are available on Oct. 1 of each calendar year for the academic year that begins the following August. For example, on Oct. 1, 2022, the 2023-24 FAFSA is available to file.

Types of VA benefits

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB)
(GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).)
The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits for veterans.
Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program assists veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find and keep suitable jobs.
Chapter 32 Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
The Veterans Educational Assistance Program is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program.
Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after Sept. 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.
Chapter 35 Dependent/Survivor GI Bill®
Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.
Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® (Reservist)
The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve, which includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force and the Air National Guard. This program is the most common form of GI Bill® used by cadets at the University of North Georgia.
Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
The Reserve Educational Assistance Program is designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components who are called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress.
Tuition Assistance
The Tuition Assistance Program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty civilian education programs in support of a soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals. TA funds are a source of financial aid for the active-duty military. For information about the ArmyIgniteED Tuition Assistance program contact Portia Clark at 770-538-4759 or
Academic Institution Portal
The Academic Institution Portal simplifies and streamlines common processes between government and the private sector in order to reduce and automate transactional workloads. This includes Air Force TA, MyCAA and Florida National Guard. Learn more on the AIPortal website.
Navy College Program
Navy College Program offers two programs to eligible service members to fund off-duty education: Tuition Assistance and Navy College Program for Afloat College Education (NCPACE). Learn more on the Navy College Program website.

Other useful information

  • For information about the GoArmyEd Tuition Assistance program, contact Portia Clark at 770-538-4759 or
  • Brenau University is required to report to the Veterans Administration on attendance, progress toward educational objectives, and other matters affecting benefits.
  • All benefits except for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® are paid directly to the student.
  • Brenau participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which involves partnering with the VA to help cover tuition expenses above the amount covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.
  • A graduate student enrolled in three to five semester hours is considered a half-time student; graduate students taking six or more hours will have full-time student status.
  • For students who receive VA education benefits, it is important to note that even though six semester hours (two courses) is considered full-time status for academic purposes, if one course is taken in each of the two evening or online sessions within a typical semester, VA will not pay benefits at a full-time rate.
  • Green Zone Certification Training is completed by some Brenau employees.

Brenau University requirements

All students who receive VA Educational Benefits are expected to comply with the following Brenau University requirements:

  1. Students must follow attendance regulations of Brenau and the Veterans Administration, and may not drop courses or stop attending classes without executing formal withdrawal procedures.
  2. Any change in a student’s semester course load should be reported to the Office of Financial Aid immediately.
  3. Students should notify the Office of Financial Aid when changing academic programs.
  4. Students must enroll in only those courses outlined on academic program plans prepared by Brenau officials.
  5. Students can only be certified for benefits for two semesters pending their official acceptance by Brenau.
  6. Courses for which college credit has been granted by Brenau cannot be repeated unless required by academic policy. Courses are not being taken concurrently.

Brenau staff can assist you and send the affidavit on your behalf

Veterans (and dependents of veterans) using VA or GI Bill® Services, contact Alex Kalagian in the Financial Aid Office at or 904-900-7972.

For Post-9/11 GI Bill® or other VA education benefits, complete a Request to Receive VA Benefits form.

All active duty service members and spouses using MyCAA, who want to be included in the Military Student Information network, contact Portia Clark at or 770-538-4759.

For more information, contact Rosanne Short, director of military and veteran student services, at or 770-531-3135.

The Navy, the Department of Defense, and the Federal Government of the United States do not officially endorse any company, sponsor, advertiser, or their products or services.