Financial Aid F.A.Q’s


Frequently Asked Questions


When is the financial aid deadline?

The financial aid deadline for each semester is one month prior to the beginning date of the semester. If your admissions and/or financial aid files are not complete by the semester deadline it will be your responsibility to make payment under any one of the payment options outlined in the Brenau University Catalog. Students who make payment may be reimbursed after financial aid is awarded.


When should I apply for financial aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is now available in October of each year for the academic year that begins with the next fall term. It should be completed as early as possible after you have applied to the university. Keep in mind that you must be accepted to the university before you can be awarded financial aid. Go online to to apply.


How do I qualify for federal financial aid?

To qualify you must:

Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen

Have a valid Social Security number

Be enrolled in a degree or certificate program

Demonstrate financial need by completing the FAFSA (except for some loan programs)

Not owe a refund on a federal grant and not be in default on any federal educational loan


How do I find out what my bill is?

You can contact the Brenau University Accounting Office to receive information about your balance, billing, payments plans, and refund checks. You may also look on CAMPUS WEB to see your balance.


What is Brenau University’s federal school code?

Brenau University’s federal school code is 001556.


What is an Aggregate Loan Limit?

Students borrowing a Federal Direct Student Loan, including subsidized and/or unsubsidized, are subject to maximum allowable loan limits. The Aggregate Maximum Loan Limit restricts the amount of Federal Student Loans that may be borrowed over a student’s college career.

Aggregate Loan Limits – Federal Student Loans

Dependent Undergraduate Students


*No more than $23,000 can be in subsidized loans

Independent Undergraduate Students

(and dependent students whose parents

were denied a parent PLUS loan)


*No more than $23,000 can be in subsidized loans

Graduate and Professional Students


*This includes undergraduate loans, graduate students are only able to obtain unsubsidized loans


How do I apply for my pin or retrieve a lost pin?

Go online to to retrieve information related to your pin number. Keep in mind that the financial aid office does not have access to your pin number so if you are having problems obtaining your pin you can contact the US Department of Education at 1-800-4-fed-aid


What is verification?

Verification is the process a school follows to check the accuracy of the information reported by a student on The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is done by collecting documents used to complete the FAFSA and comparing them with the answers the student provided on the FAFSA. Applications are selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education. If your application is selected for verification, you must complete the verification process before your eligibility for need-based financial aid can be determined and before need-based financial aid can be awarded to you.


How do I receive summer semester financial aid?

You would want to contact the financial aid office to determine if you will have funding available for the summer. Then you would want to print out the Summer Financial Aid Request Form on our website under the forms section to have your summer financial aid processed for the summer.


What is a cost of attendance?

The Cost of Attendance (COA) is the estimated total cost of attending college for one year. It includes tuition and fees, room, board, books, personal expenses, and travel expenses. A student cannot receive more than the Cost of Attendance from any combination of institutional, federal, state, or private funding source.


Will my family be required to submit copies of tax transcripts to Brenau University?

Tax transcripts are required only if your application was selected by the federal processing center for verification of data pertaining to income and family size, or if errors or discrepancies are identified during our review of your FAFSA data. If your file is selected for verification you can either complete the IRS Data Retrieval online on your FAFSA or send in copies of your IRS Tax transcripts.


Do I need to complete separate financial aid applications for each college or university I’m considering?

When you complete the FAFSA, you may list several institutions to receive your FAFSA results. You may also list multiple institutions when you are applying for state grants at the GAFutures website. Brenau does not require a supplemental institutional aid application, but other schools might.


If I don’t qualify for a HOPE Scholarship now, when can I be considered?

Georgia-resident freshmen who do not enter Brenau as HOPE Scholars may have HOPE eligibility assessed when they have attempted 30 semester hours of academic credit. Georgia-resident transfer students may have eligibility assessed at the point where they have attempted 30, 60 or 90 semester hours.


Do I need to apply for the FAFSA each year to receive federal financial aid?

Yes. Each year you must file either the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the Renewal FAFSA. You must also maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to qualify for aid each year.


How do I know if my financial aid application has been processed and approved?

Once your financial aid file is complete (and you have been accepted by Admissions), you will receive an award letter by mail and email. This letter will list each financial aid award and the amount you will receive for each semester. You may also look on CAMPUS WEB to see your award amounts once they have been posted.


How do I apply for a student loan?

Directions on how to accept your loans and other aid  is sent with the student’s award letter in the mail as well as emailed to students. Please contact the financial aid office for details about how to complete the federal Stafford loan process if you have misplaced your award letter and Federal Direct Loan Procedures Form.


How many hours must I take to be eligible for student loans each semester?

For an Undergraduate student to receive Federal Loan Funds 6 hours or more is required. For a Graduate Student to receive Federal Loan Funds 3 hours or more is required.


What is the status of my refund check?

Once your loan has been applied to your student account the Accounting Office will issue a refund check. Contact the Accounting Office for more information regarding your refund check.


If my parents are divorced, whose information do I need to include on the FAFSA?

Report the information of the parent with whom you lived the most during the 12 months preceding the date you completed the FAFSA. It does not make a difference which parent claims you as a dependent for tax purposes. If you did not live with either parent or lived equally with each parent, the parental information must be provided for the parent from whom you received the most financial support during the preceding 12 months or the parent from whom you received the most support the last time support was given.


Where can I find information pertaining to the Federal Loans I have received in the past from Brenau University and other colleges and universities?

You can go to the website for the National Student Loan Database to view your entire Federal Stafford Loan history. You will need your social security number, date of birth, and your PIN number (the same one you would have used to sign your FAFSA) to view information on the NSLDS website. The website is


What is Enrollment Status?

An undergraduate student enrolled for at least six (6) semester hours but fewer than twelve (12) semester hours is considered a half-time student, while an undergraduate student enrolled for twelve (12) semester hours is considered full-time.


What do I do if my financial aid is suspended?
a student may appeal this status through the following procedure:

-The student must indicate in writing to the Director of Financial Aid the reasons why satisfactory academic progress was not maintained.

-The director of financial aid will present the appeal to the Financial Aid Committee for review and a decision will be made regarding whether or not suspension will be enforced.

-The student will be notified of the decision in writing.

-If the student’s financial aid suspension is upheld by the committee, the student must complete a minimum of 6 credit hours with a 2.0 grade point average at Brenau University or be eligible to transfer a minimum of 6 credit hours with a 2.0 grade point average back to Brenau University from another institution. The student must also reapply in writing and meet all eligibility requirements to receive financial aid for the following semester.


What do I do if I feel that I have special circumstances relating to my financial aid?

You can contact the financial aid office or you can complete the professional judgement review  form and send it into the financial aid office to be reviewed. The form is listed under the forms section.


What are alternative or private loans?

Private education loans are credit-based loans offered by banks and other lenders to assist students who find they need additional funds to cover education-related expenses that may not be covered by other financial aid programs.  Approval for a private education loan depends primarily on the credit score of the borrower (and co-signer, if one is required).  Private education loans are typically considered a “last resort” type of educational funding; however, they are often a wiser financial option to cover indirect educational costs than using credit cards or home equity lines of credit. For additional information on private education loans, including a list of historical Brenau lenders and loan products, loan program disclosures, and online applications, please click here.



General inquiries:, +1-770-534-6299 or +1-800-252-5119 | Admissions:, +1-770-534-6100 or +1-800-252-5119 ext. 6100