Become a well-rounded clinician, researcher, and assessor through Brenau’s Master of Science in Clinical Counseling Psychology and develop the skills you’ll need to help meet the needs of your community. This program is designed for those interested in working as a licensed professional counselor or pursuing a doctoral degree. The degree focuses on counseling, research, and psychological assessment.
To successfully complete the program, you must pass 62 credit hours of combined coursework, practica experiences,an internship, and a research thesis. Full-time students who begin in the fall, can complete the program in five semesters, while full-time students who start in the spring or summer can complete the program in six to seven semesters.
Program offered in both Gainesville and North Atlanta
Duration: 5-7 semesters
Start term Gainesville: Fall and spring
Start term North Atlanta: Fall and summer
Class type: On-ground
- Have access to two on-site clinics where you can serve community members
- Earn your degree at an official institute for play therapy (only one of two in Georgia)
- Work directly with clients beginning after your first year in the program
- Choose from over 150 clinical sites in the community to complete your internship or practicum
- Learn in state-of-the-art facilities that offer virtual reality treatment technology, driving simulator technology, and more
- Take classes from accomplished professors, several of whom have active practices
- Meet licensure requirements by attending continuing education programs at Brenau after graduation
- Become immersed in applied research and statistics
- Professional counselor
- Mental health therapist
- Intake specialist for psychology facility
- Psychology educator/university faculty member
- Police mental health clinician
- Forensic interviewer
To be considered for this program the applicant must meet all of the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- GRE score of combined 270 or above
- GPA 2.70 or above from all college transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official college transcripts
- Writing sample about career interests
- Prerequisite coursework (Abnormal Psychology, Research Methods or Statistics)
All application materials must be submitted through PSYCAS.
Want to earn a master’s in psychology that requires less clinical experience?
Apply to Brenau’s Master of Science in Psychology degree. Through this program, you won’t earn the credentials to receive your license as a professional counselor, but you will graduate with the prerequisites to enter Brenau’s Doctorate in Clinical Psychology program.
Our program by the numbers
- Number of applications received to matriculate in academic year 2021-2022 (67)
- Of those applications, number of students accepted (39)
- Of those accepted, number of newly enrolled in academic year 2021-22 (30)
- Of those who were newly enrolled in academic year 2021-22, number who continued into into year two (first year retention rate) (24)
- Total number of of students enrolled in the program during AY 2021-22 (65)
- Number of students who graduated in AY 2021-22 (24)
- Number of full-time students who started the program and graduated within the expected time frame (two years) (18)
- Percent of students who enrolled in the program in fall 2017 who graduated from the program (5-year graduation rate) (94%)
- Percent of those who graduated in the years 2018 to 2020 who became fully licensed and/or credentialed as mental health counselors, professional counselors, BCBA, substance abuse counselors or other similar tracts (12%). It takes a minimum of 3 years of post-master’s clinical experience after taking either the NCE or NMHCE exam after graduation to become fully licensed in Georgia.
- Percentage of those who graduated in AY 2021-22 who became certified or licensed as school counselors (0%)
- Percentage of courses taught by adjunct or part-time faculty over AY 2021-22 (22%)
- Race/Ethnicity of Full-time Faculty — 22% African American/Black; 78% European American/White
- Gender Identity of Full-time Faculty — 67% Female Faculty; 33% Male Faculty; 0 Transgender; 0 Non-binary
Contact Julie Battle, Chair of the Lynn J. Darby School of Psychology and Adolescent Counseling, at
770-534-6228 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Master of Science in Clinical Counseling Psychology at Brenau University is accredited by the Masters in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council (MPCAC) for the period of January 2007 to January 2027.