Brenau Athletics had a banner year academically as 12 teams and 47 student-athletes were honored by the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for achievement during the 2022-23 academic year.
“This is another reflection of our great student-athletes who really prioritize the academic component of their responsibilities and are devoted to achieving the highest standards,” Athletic Director Mike Lochstamphor said.
Basketball, competitive cheer, cross country, golf, indoor and outdoor track and field, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis and volleyball were each honored as 2022-23 NAIA Scholar Teams. To be considered, each team must have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale as defined by the institution.
The Daktronics-NAIA Scholar-Athlete award recognizes individual student-athletes at the national level for achieving high academic success. Specifically, each individual must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale and must have achieved junior academic status.
Brenau’s average student-athlete GPA for the 2023 spring semester was 3.32 and 66 athletes were named to the dean’s list, 30 to the merit list and 54 earned perfect 4.0 GPAs. In addition to the 47 students named NAIA Scholar Athletes, 62 were named to the Appalachian Athletic Conference All-Academic team.
“I’m extremely proud of the academic achievements of our athletes and I value the support they receive while they compete in their respective sports and pursue the degree of their choice,”Lochstamphor said. “Our veteran coaching staff takes an active role in this process by providing encouragement and direction in order to ensure that our athletes are successful.”
Brenau’s NAIA Scholar-Athletes for 2022-23, listed by sport:
- Basketball: Isabella Evangelista; Katherine Fourie; Samantha Glover; Taylor Green; Kait McCarter; Pollie Simpson.
- Competitive Cheer: Ragan Allen; Destiny Clay; Lexi Dollar; Haley Grimes; Cassidy Hunter; Libby McIlwain; Nicole Mulkey; Hannah Parks.
- Cross Country: Briona Bierkamp.
- Golf: Ylenia Alcibiade Bennasar; McKenzie McRee.
- Lacrosse: Calli Edens; Samantha Glover.
- Outdoor Track and Field: Briona Bierkamp; Isabella Evangelista; Katherine Fourie; Taylor Green; Cassidy Hunter; Oluwatomisin John; Jailyn Kendrick.
- Soccer: Cindy Bonilla; Emelie Guerra;Stacy Medoza; Kory Rodas.
- Softball: Kasey Blair; Turner Cole; Taryn Hitchcock; Aly Singletary; Morgan Tyler.
- Swimming: Calli Edens.
- Tennis: Bianca Andersen; MaryWynn Brannon; Sally Brannon.