Tennis Starts Season with Scrimmage Win
The Brenau tennis team kicked off the 2015 season with a 6-3 victory over fellow SSAC member Dalton State University in a Friday afternoon scrimmage in Gainesville.
The Golden Tigers opened the match with a win in #1 doubles as the team of Maria Perdomo and Patricia Recalde took their match 8-5. After a loss in #3 doubles, the Golden Tigers answered with an 8-6 win in #2 doubles for Nathalia Bolivar and Paula Rives.
In singles play, #1 Perdomo won her opening match 6-1, 4-6, 10-2, while Recalde secured the team victory at #2 singles with a 6-4, 2-6, 10-5 win.
“It was really nice to play a scrimmage against a conference opponent this early in the season,” said head coach Andre Ferreira. “Dalton State has solid players from top to bottom so all the matches were competitive and it was excellent practice for our team. It gave our new players a firsthand experience of a dual-match in college tennis.”
“It’s a significant change from the individual tournaments we play in the fall and it helps to get them acclimated to both the format and team environment.”
Brenau opens the regular season Friday, Feb. 8, when the Golden Tigers travel to Clayton State University for a 1 p.m. match.
Brenau 6, Dalton State 3
1. Perdomo/Recalde (BU) def. Winter/Sanchez (DSC) 8-5
2. Bolivar/Rives (BU) def. Lovinfosse/Powell (DSC) 8-6
3. Narino/Bejarano (DSC) def. Cohron/Kiseleva (BU) 8-4
1. Maria Perdomo (BU) def. Laura Winter (DSC) 6-1, 4-6, 10-2
2. Patricia Recalde (BU) def. Daniela Sanchez (DSC) 6-4, 2-6, 10-5
3. Diana Narino (DSC) def. Paula Rives (BU) 7-6(5), 6-4
4. Nathalia Bolivar (BU) def. Lucie Lovinfosse (DSC) 7-5, 6-1
5. Maria Bejarano (DSC) def. Kelley Cohron (BU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Snezhana Kiseleva (BU) def. No player
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2) Singles (1, 3, 2*, 5, 4)