Brenau History and Traditions
Founded as the Georgia Baptist Female Seminary by Dr. W. C. Wilkes, Brenau University is a non-sectarian, privately owned institution. In 1900, it was named Brenau College, and, in the 1992-1993 academic year, Brenau became a university.
For over a century, Brenau has been governed by eight presidents and has a rich tradition of educating women. Today, the university offers bachelor’s, master’s, and specialists degrees on five campuses throughout Georgia.
The Women’s College, part of the Undergraduate School, located in Gainesville, has provided excellence in single gender education since 1878.
Brenau initiated coeducational studies in 1972 and now offers undergraduate and graduate courses online and on campuses: in three locations in Gainesville; in Georgia at Augusta, North Atlanta and South Atlanta and in Jacksonville, Florida.