Brenau History and Traditions

Founded as the Georgia Baptist Female Seminary by Dr. W. C. Wilkes, Brenau University is a non-sectarian, privately owned institution. In 1900, it was named Brenau College, and, in the 1992-1993 academic year, Brenau became a university.

For over a century, Brenau has been governed by eight presidents and has a rich tradition of educating women. Today, the university offers bachelor’s, master’s, and specialists degrees on five campuses throughout Georgia.

Brenau University comprises the Sidney O. Smith Graduate School and the Undergraduate School.

The Women’s College, part of the Undergraduate School, located in Gainesville, has provided excellence in single gender education since 1878.

Brenau initiated coeducational studies in 1972 and now offers undergraduate and graduate courses online and on campuses: in three locations in Gainesville; in Georgia at Augusta, Kings Bay, North Atlanta and South Atlanta and in 2015 Jacksonville, Florida.

General inquiries:, (770) 534-6299 or (800) 252-5119 | Admissions:, (770) 534-6100 or (800) 252-5119 ext. 6100