Master of Science – Nursing
The Graduate Program of the School of Nursing fulfills the mission of the school and and Brenau University by preparing nurses to improve quality of life through achieving professional specialization based on caring. The graduate program seeks to prepare nurses who will assume influential roles in advanced clinical practice, education or leadership.management and who will have a lasting and positive impact on health of individuals, families, communities, and populations.
Upon completion of the MSN in Nursing, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate role competency in a chosen specialty.
- Demonstrate scholarly communication.
- Apply evidence-based decision making.
MSN Program Admission Requirements
MSN Degree Programs begin in Fall semester only. Applications due by June 1st.
In addition to the general requirements for admissions stated in the Graduate Admissions section of this Catalog, admission decisions to the graduate nursing program will be based on a composite of the following:
- Evidence of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from an accredited nursing program.
- Minimum Cumulative and nursing GPA of 3.0.
- Undergraduate courses in physical assessment and research methods.
- Minimum of one year of full-time work experience in nursing within the past five years.
- An interview may be requested by the admissions committee.
In order to apply students must submit the following:
1) Our electronic application, which students can find on our website at www.brenau.edu/apply;
2) A completed Nursing CAS application.* Students can find the Nursing CAS application by following this link: www.nursingcas.org. Nursing CAS is a “common” nursing application system established by the AACN;
3) Three professional references. References must be submitted to Nursing CAS using the Nursing CAS e-form or the Nursing CAS paper reference form;
4) Resume and Essay. Submit resume through Nursing CAS and complete the Nursing CAS essay;
5) Official GRE Score – Required for Family Nurse Practitioner applicants only. Ask that Official GRE score be sent directly to Brenau University;
6) Current RN nursing license. Fax RN License to the Brenau Graduate Admissions Office at (770) 718-5338;
7) Applicants should request two copies of their Official Transcripts from all previous institutions. Have one set of transcripts sent to Nursing CAS at the address provided in the Nursing CAS application. Have the second set of transcripts sent directly to the Brenau Office of Graduate Admissions at 500
Washington Street, SE, Gainesville, GA 30501.
*Nursing CAS requires that applicants input individual course and grade information for all college/university classes taken. Nursing CAS advises that on average it takes two hours to input course information. Students may contact Nursing CAS at www.nursingcas.org for additional information regarding application instructions.
Applications are evaluated based on all of the admission requirements. Brenau may consider an applicant who does not meet [all] stated requirements, but who, in the opinion of the appropriate department, may be a good candidate for admission to the University. In such cases an applicant’s credentials will be reviewed by the graduate admissions committee, (based on departmental referral), to determine if the applicant is qualified for admission.
There are three Master of Science degree in Nursing concentrations available: Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Educator and Nurse Manager.